Sunday 15 June 2008

ways to make chores more palatable

I am willing to admit that chores are hated in our household. Ant and I both dislike chores. I deal with my dislike by trying to get them out of the way and Ant deals with his by putting them off. We have come up with a few strategies to make them less hated.

1. Distract yourself. I do this by listening to music while I wash dishes. Ant recently bought me a brilliant present for the kitchen--a set of speakers that I can plug my iPod into. This has made washing up and cooking both more bearable. The speakers are sitting on top of some cupboards.



2. Chat with someone. While we iron (individually) we like to talk on the phone. While chatting with my friend Sara in Newfoundland last weekend I managed to iron five skirts and two shirts. Ant likes to talk to his dad or sisters while he irons. Today he combined strategy one and two on this list and chatted to his sister while perusing the electronics for sale on QVC.

3. Enjoy the fruits of your labour. After the bathroom is newly cleaned, I like to be the first one to take a shower while everything is gleaming. Or I will sit down in a sparkling kitchen with a cup of tea and something to read.

4. Do chores together.
Some weeknights Ant will set up the ironing board in the kitchen and chat with me while I cook. Or if we have people coming over Ant tidies while I prepare food. I feel more motivated to mop if I can hear Ant hoovering.

5. Invite people around. There's no motivator like imminent arrivals. Or this can be a pay-off for finally making the place decent.

6. Reward yourself. After chores, loaf on the couch. Or go out and do something fun. Or write a blog post! (I have blogged about mopping before!) Haha.

1 comment:

Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

talking on the phone is my favorite way. Doesnt it suck when you both deal with them different ways. our problem too.