Saturday 31 October 2009

visit to Guildford with Geta


Geta and I went over to Guildford for the afternoon yesterday. I have never been there despite how close it is to London, but I have heard frequently how lovely the historic buildings are. Below is a building called Abbot's Hospital, which is assisted housing for the elderly and infirm that was founded (and has been in operation) since 1619.


The highlight for both of us was Guildford Castle, founded soon after 1066 and used for royal accommodation for hundreds of years thereafter. We went inside and looked through the spacious (and draughty) rooms. We climbed to the roof and saw some amazing views of the town.


Geta was so thrilled to be wandering around the Castle. And taking pictures!


Lewis Carroll (aka Charles Dodgson) lived (some of the time) in Guildford. This little statue of Alice through the looking glass is tucked away in a nice little park near the Castle grounds.

1 comment:

Jennifer Josefy said...

I'm really excited! :)

Of course you will have to come visit Wales, and I will definitely be popping over to London... probably more than once! I can't wait to see you and catch up! :)