Monday 28 April 2008

brief school update


I don't write about school much.... But recently reading the blog of another teacher has inspired me a bit. I am struggling at the moment with knowing how I fit in the maths department at my school and thinking about how I need improve and develop as a teacher. I wish I was a bit more innovative in lessons; I have become a "starter and a worksheet" type of teacher over the last two years. Here is one attempt to get a bit more participation into my lessons. After the students recorded this data for us, we used it to make tally charts and draw bar charts.

Later this week I am planning another data exercise where students will record in a tally chart the lengths of words in a newspaper and we will calculate some statistics. Data handling seems like an easier strand to teach interactively, now I just need to develop a few other ideas.

No comments: