Thursday 18 January 2007

musings from Job

Two unrelated thoughts from my Bible reading tonight.

God's deeds are so amazingly huge. How to comprehend someone who who set the universe spinning? Like a song says, he flung stars into space, and then those same hands surrendered to cruel nails. "He marks out the horizon... as a boundary line between light and darkness" (Job 26:10). Wow! He sustains the whole world in his infinite wisdom and power. Yet Job realised that "these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?" (Job 26:14) May I keep learning about your immeasurable power and wisdom, Lord.

On a different note, Job is talking about his innocence before God. He describes his treatment of lesser people: "If I have denied justice to any of my servants, whether male or female, what will I do when God confronts me?" (Job 31:13-14) I'm sure that abuse of servants was rife around Job and even now we look down on people unlike us in wealth or status or background. But Job knows that these people are not lesser like we think they are. "Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?" (Job 31:15) We're all equal in worth because of our origin; all loved by a generous Father who made us lovingly. So help me learn to love others and treat them with the generous respect they deserve, as fellow creations of God. Father, give me your love for your beautiful people.

No comments: