Sunday 9 September 2007

first week of school

One week finished! It was a tiring one. Jayme said in her first week of school post that it was easier since it was her second year at her school. That was definitely true for me as well--I didn't have to hang posters or plan my classroom routines or find the equipment cupboard. But it was still exhausting. New to me this year is having a tutor group of my own. Year sevens--the youngest students in the school (eleven years old). They needed a lot of help getting started since they don't know where to go or what to bring on which days. They are really cute, though, as you may imagine. I am finding that managing their tutor time is a bit of a challenge--there is a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in. Just checking their equipment on Friday morning took the teaching assistant and I about twenty minutes.

I have quite a few good classes this year and also a few challenges ahead. I have one class which will be sitting their GCSE exam in the summer and another class that will be sitting SATs exams (thus producing lots of data upon which I will be judged). As well, I have a sixth form class (that I share with another teacher) which is going to be good because the students (theoretically!) really want to be there studying maths. And they are also (theoretically) good enough students that they will be able to keep up with the material (calculus, yay!).

1 comment:

Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

Sare, I thought your taught younger kids, is this the first year with 7th graders. Remember the cute drawings you posted last year...those looked like kid drawings not 7th graders. Maybe I am behind the times though... Post a posting on the demographics of your class, age, topics, girls:boys, no. etc.