Monday 13 February 2006

God's mystery

The Trinity is always a hard thing to understand, and especially understanding that Jesus was both God and man. Yesterday at church, Pastor Hany preached about Christ being God's mystery. We were looking at Colossians 1:15-2:10. Hany said that the foremost miracle of Christ was not the resurrection, but the incarnation. It's a miracle and a mystery that Jesus, the Son, became human. In chapter 1, verse 19, Paul says that "in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell," and in 2:9 it says that "in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily." God came to dwell bodily among us, and the goal of this was to reveal himself--this is possible since Christ is the exact image of the invisible God (1:15).

What does this mean for me? I can hear my dad's voice ringing in my ears: "If you want to know God, look at Jesus!" My dad makes it sound so easy; sometimes I find Jesus cryptic. He lives in a strange time and he does strange things. It does seem like a mystery to me sometimes. But I have the confidence that Jesus has paved my way to God and I have been reconciled. I can study Jesus and get to know him because I am not estranged from God. I can discover the riches of the glory of the mystery, which is Christ in me, the hope of glory (1:27). Praise to God for his grace!

No comments: