Thursday 9 February 2006

modern conveniences

My newest cooking ingredient: lemongrass. Last night I made Thai chicken and lemongrass soup--yummy with coconut milk, a bit of hot sauce, lemongrass, lime juice, baby corn, and shards of spinach. The recipe calls for stalks of lemongrass, but my local/online supermarket sells lemongrass in a sqeezy tube. I squirted in about two teaspoons, hoping this was roughly equivalent. It turned out great.

This was my first forray into online grocery shopping. Since I was sick on the weekend and early this week when it was already my turn to cook, I had the mounds of food delivered. They were scheduled to arrive between 6 and 7 pm, so I rushed here to be home by a few minutes before 6. Good thing, too, since I heard loud knocking ("Please knock loudly, doorbell broken") at six o'clock on the dot. My shopping was unpacked from four storage crates into my front hall. Ant and I could never have lugged it all home. Well, maybe. We'd have got a workout.

We've also started having our milk delivered. At 50p a pint, this seems like a fantastic plan. We figure we go through 12 pints in a week! So each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 4 pints will be delivered to our door in the wee hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sarah, it's just like the old days in Newbrah (can't spell)