Tuesday 7 February 2006

nostalgia

What kind of weird urge makes you want to look up old friends online? And then not contact them. Just try to get a little glimpse of their lives and then hide again. I get the urge about once a year. I usually search for ex-boyfriends and friends of exes, people that seem lost to me forever. I see that one is posting help for sysadmins. Another is the treasurer of a salmon association. I notice that an ex's sister graduated recently in photography. For others, there's not much info available. When I searched for one long-lost friend, I found documents with my name as well.

Perhaps some of these are not lost? I wonder which would welcome an advance on my part? If they were searching for me, probably they would reach a dead end after a while. My name has changed and I have moved. I conclude that most exes and friends of exes don't really want to hear from me and dredge up the past. Do we still have anything in common?

I have always been terrible with communication. One reason I hold back from making contact is that I know my urges to connect are usually short-lived. Does that mean I am inherently self-centred and there is no hope for me?

No comments: