Thursday 9 February 2006

reading list

I have been doing more reading lately. Not terribly intellectual, mind. But at least my brain is a little engaged. And I joined the library today! It's a tiny little place with two rooms and large windows, located down the road in the bottom of a council house tower.

April's friend with the large book collection has been keeping me going til now and April and I have been swapping books. I just finished Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted by Lolly Winston. In the US, this book is called Good Grief. It's one step above chick lit (which is sometimes all I can handle during the work week) with its apt descriptions and beautiful details.

The last five books before that were:
  • The Guy Next Door by Meg Cabot (author of The Princess Diaries)--pure chick lit and very entertaining. It's written solely as a collection of emails.
  • Mrs Kimble by Jennifer Haigh--about three women who marry Ken Kimble through his life.
  • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden--beautiful. I'm still planning to go see the film.
  • Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers--based on the Bible story of Hosea. This is a well-written and very engrossing book.
  • Unless by Carol Shields--a Canadian author. About a woman whose teenage daughter chooses to live on the streets of Toronto in pursuit of beauty.

No comments: