Saturday 11 February 2006

new and old

Ant and I are going to have supper with our new friends, Matt and Bree. The first day we met them (about a month ago) we invited them over for lunch. They stayed most of the day--a good sign for a new friendship!

I'm making a batch of cookies to take with us. I used a recipe from the Voth family cookbook. It was published at the Voth family reunion in 2000. My mum's mum was Katie (Katharina) Voth. Katharina is also my mum's name and my middle name. The cookbook has a portrait of my great-grandparents, Hermann and Maria Voth, who were married in 1906. They moved to Manitoba in 1924 with their seven children, one of whom was Katie. The cookies I'm baking right now are from a recipe contributed by another of the Voth children, my mum's aunt Margaret. They are cited as being Uncle Corny's favourites. How could I turn down cookies with a heritage like that?

And I'm listening to Ashley MacIsaac in the background. He's a fantastic rocky celtic fiddler. A taste of Nova Scotia to go with my Mennonite cookies and new American friends.


Uncle Corney's Favourite Cookies

1 cup margerine or butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (next time try 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups white sugar (try 1 cup)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups of oatmeal
1 cup of coconut
1/2 cup of raisins (today I'm using pecan pieces instead)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teapsoon baking soda

Mix together first five ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together other ingredients and then add to large bowl. Mix well. Drop by teaspoon and press down with a fork dipped in milk or flour. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes 6 dozen cookies.

No comments: